Looking for Guesthouse Backpacking Accommodation and Tours

Hye there

I found this website is really helpful and I appreciate all your effort in maintaining this website. I'm planning for backpacking expedition to Cameron with my girlfriend this coming end of June or early July...

Planning to take bus from KL to Tanah Rata and look for hotels there..at the same time, trying to look for any tour package available there..

Do you have any suggestion hotels or tour package for Cameron..hope to hear some great stuff from you guys.. If possible, please suggest me the affordable single room. Although I'm willing to take the double room and share the room with my gf, it's wrong to do that in Malaysia and the possibility of the government agencies to check is there.

So, hope to find some good suggestion from you.

Cheers!
Long Haffiz
London, United Kingdom
27/4/2011

Dear Long,

Hotels stay will depend on your budget. If you want comfortable go for star rated like Heritage, Century Pines, Equatorial, Strawberry Park, De La Ferns, etc. If budget, there are guesthouses like Kang Travelodge, Father's Guesthouse, Cameronian Inn, Eight Mentigi and KRS/Twinpines. Do check my hotel list for short listing.

And there is no problem staying with your girlfriend in the hotel room. What you do there is private and none of the government business. Do keep it quiet though. That's where star rated hotels would be better suggestion. ;P

For tours, try Father's Guesthouse Cameron Secrets or Kang Travel and Tours. You can find their contacts on my website.

Cheers!
Jan.
27/4/2011

Dear Jan,

Thanks a lot for such a quick reply.
I appreciate it so much.

I already short listing 7 guest houses which are Cameronian Inn, Kang Travel Hotel, Twin Pines, The Highlanders, Gerard's Place, Eight Mentigi and Jurina Hill. Since I'm a backpacker, I'm looking forward for guest house which is close to shops and bus station at the same time and I find that these 7 are suit with my budget and at the same time not too far from bus station.

Do it been a problem if I book tour and guest house separately? For example, let say I'm staying in Cameronian Inn but choose to take Kang's Place Tour Package? And yeah, my concern is still about the accommodation with the government check stuff. LOL! But yeah, should survey deeply more about this. How about dorm? Between these 7, which one is the best? If two single room seems to be too expensive, I might consider taking 1 dorm and 1 cheap double room like in 8 Mentigi and Gerard's Place.

This is my first time coming to CH. So, sorry for too many questions.

Many thanks,
Long
27/4/2011

Dear Long,

Gerard's Place? this one I haven't heard before, where is this? I would like to check this up next time I'm up there.

Guesthouse are economical but the sound do travel out so you need to keep it quiet at night to avoid disturbing the peace. Boy and girl in same room is ok otherwise all the locals will have a big problem when going for holiday (including courting couples)! Private places would be an invasion of privacy but then we don't really have privacy laws here and sometimes MPs come up with stupid suggestions and comments every once in awhile. Enough of my gripe about local laws.

Room and tours are mutually exclusive, so no problem there.

As for which guesthouse, I can't say which is better as I found them all to be rather nice though each has their own pros and cons. Book the rooms, better than dorm. More privacy, besides the difference isn't that much (c'mon, Brit Pound to Ringgit just a few Pound difference won't even make a dent in your budget! But when I went to UK for holiday, it really hurt my pocket you know!). Esp for couples. And no worries about enforcers, they don't disturb the place (never heard of any in CH anyway) as it will give tourism Malaysia a bad name.

Cheers!
Jan
28/4/2011

Dear Jan,

That's gonna be a great idea. By the way, Gerard's Place is in conjunction with Father's Place. Normally in peak time, Father's Place gonna be really full and they set up Gerard's Place as a back up., But yeah, based on tripadvisor website, the review on Gerard's Place is higher compare to Father's Place. But you shall check it. It just around 3-5 minutes walk from Father's Place.

Oh yeah, is Father's Place far from town? Cause another guest houses are close to town except Father's Place. Maybe a rough idea about its location gonna be really helpful.

Cheers!
28/4/2011

Ah, Gerard! Should have known he made place name after himself! Will have to check it up with him next time I go up there. All the guesthouses are within walking distance to Tanah Rata (except when it rains then it will feel very far! Haha!). 5-10 minutes walk is about it for any of them. Me being lazy, I drive, which takes less than a minute but takes another 3-5 minutes looking for parking! Tanah Rata is a very small town.

Cheers!
Jan.
28/4/2011

No comments: